Wednesday, August 31, 2005

be drunk

Be Drunk (by Charles Baudelaire)

You have to be always drunk. That's all there is to it—it's the only way. So as not to feel the horrible burden of time that breaks your back and bends you to the earth, you have to be continually drunk.

But on what? Wine, poetry or virtue, as you wish. But be drunk.

And if sometimes, on the steps of a palace or the green grass of a ditch, in the mournful solitude of your room, you wake again, drunkenness already diminishing or gone, ask the wind, the wave, the star, the bird, the clock, everything that is flying, everything that is groaning, everything that is rolling, everything that is singing, everything that is speaking. . .ask what time it is and wind, wave, star, bird, clock will answer you: "It is time to be drunk! So as not to be the martyred slaves of time, be drunk, be continually drunk! On wine, on poetry or on virtue as you wish."

— by Charles Baudelaire translated by the American poet and critic Louis Simpson, in Modern Poets of France (Story Line Press, 1997)

***********************************************************************************
my favorite ways to get drunk have been laughing, finding someone who shares the same excitement about a piece of writing, dancing and i wouldn't mind some wine with good music.

and quotes like this....here's a toast to getting drunk!! :)

9 Comments:

Blogger Rex Venom said...

You can get pretty wasted on deep breathing and lots of cool water. I think.
I’ll let you know when the stars stop jumping.
Rock on!

10:05 PM  
Blogger iamnasra said...

Wow ..this is really nice piece of write up..Im always drunk on poetry and on others poets words...I drink so much of photo that speaks to me poetically...

Lorena thank you so much for this piece of poetry...

3:35 AM  
Blogger Jaxe said...

I absolutely agree. I get drunk on people and their thoughts, talents, words... yourself included ;-) After all, being drunk is just a state of overwhelming emotion anyway.

So here is to you, friend!

*cheers*

5:00 PM  
Blogger iamnasra said...

Check my website...this article was such an inspiration to me....

www.iamnasra.blogspot.com

10:45 AM  
Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

fabulous and so damn true. for me being drunk means being able to listen to music, reading books or comics. great, great piece. thank you so much.

1:57 PM  
Blogger sensiblystoned said...

OK, i got to stop drinking now, everywhere I go I read about booze. I love to get drunk on watching great movies and fabulous acting.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Lorena said...

i'm glad you all liked this piece. I know i was moved by it. thanks for the comments :)

rex venom: so did you get drunk?

4:05 PM  
Blogger ¡Benjaminista! said...

To be drunk truly is God's chosen escape for man. The hangovers though...

10:35 AM  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

Baudelaire's 'Flowers of evil' is awesome, he doesn't reserve anything. This reminded me of another poem and song I like to sing (Jeff Buckley sang it):

"lilac wine, is sweet and heady, like my love, I feel unsteady, for my love...listen to me, why's everything so hazy? Isn't that she, coming to me, or am I just going crazy?" -J. Shelton

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home