Tuesday, May 10, 2005

crash

saturday i saw the film Crash. please go out and see it!!! it was fabulous. if you like intense, emotional, honest, deep, thought-provoking films like i do :) this is just what you need! DAMN it was good!! i wanted to smoke a cigarette afterwards (and i don't smoke), that's how satisfying it was!!! ha ha! this is true: some scenes actually took my breath away! i'm sure we've all experienced this with our own lives, for example talking to someone you like, you find yourself a little out of breath. well this is my first time experiencing it with a film. seriously, i had to breath in/breath out. it was wierd. maybe it was the advil i took for my headache. i don't normally take pills for anything unless i absolutely have no choice. i wanted to enjoy the movie and the headache was bothering me so i did. nonetheless. took my breath away.

post film:
i was getting my ticket for the film and my friend was waiting by a bench and seated on this bench was this girl that looked familiar. as i walked closer i realized where i knew her from. She also looked at me like she was trying to figure out who i was. i wasn't going to go up to her since she might not remember me but once i was by my friend she kept looking in my direction. so i looked at her and walked by her. she says, "where do i know you from?". i told her Sox park. immediately as i saw her i remember this memory we both shared. i thought, should i tell her? i mean that was when i was 16yrs old, more than a decade old. damn. the first day at my first job i was put behind home-plate on the main level. she was assigned the same aisle as security while i was the usher. we both thought we spotted Eddie Murphy sitting in our section. anyhow, we spent the day trying to figure out if it was him. i don't remember if we ever found out but it was an exciting first day at work. i told her this and she said that she remembered! i thought that was cool. she was also there to see the same film.

11 Comments:

Blogger mermaid said...

I'll have to check it out. Did you see, "The Upside of Anger"?

12:51 PM  
Blogger Lorena said...

No but I know it looked like one I'd like. Was it good?

1:33 PM  
Blogger mermaid said...

Terrific...one of those unbridled outpourings of how one really feels about things. No excuses, no hiding.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Lorena said...

I'm definitely going to have to see it. thanks :)

4:30 PM  
Blogger mermaid said...

Despite all the unpacking this weekend, I went to see this last night. Can I just say, wow!!!

What struck me most was the immediate assumption of "knowing" someone based on the color of their skin or their visual appearance. God, how often have I done that? I really had a wake up call when Sandra Bullock assumed the Latin American locksmith was a gang member, and then they show him telling a wonderful story to his 5 yr old daughter.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Lorena said...

I'm glad you went to go see it! I actually want to go see it again!

The story of the latino guy was very touching and I can also relate. The wonderful thing about the film is that it helps us understand the characters as well as love them despite their actions. We find were they are rooted from and we have compassion for them. I also love how the film keeps you in suspense as to what they'll do, like the guy with the gun who confronts the white guy policeman who is asking them to get out of the car and the most devasting one for me was when that guy gets killed by the white policeman when he thought he was going to pull out a gun. That brought tears to my eyes. I never found myself disliking or hating any of the characters. Great lesson in how we all need to be less quick to judge or more open to understand.

I'm glad the film made you wow!!! :)

11:38 AM  
Blogger mermaid said...

I agree when you said that you coudn't really judge them. I found myself hating the cop who body searched the woman. Later, he is her savior. Nothing ever is as it seems, and that saying about seeing the good in everything really rings true in this.

Hey, there was one song towards the end by this female singer. I don't know who it is, but I'm going to find out!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Lorena said...

i love the music in the film. let me know when you find out!!

2:14 PM  
Blogger mermaid said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:04 PM  
Blogger mermaid said...

Ok, OK, I'm excited. The song I love is called "In the Deep" by Bird (Kathleen) York.

http://www.crashfilm.com/

Go to the soundtrack link, and it's #14 on the LHS.

Her website is linked right next to the song.

The song automatically plays when you enter the website. You can find the lyrics under 'lyrics'.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Lorena said...

nice site they have. i was doing the interactive thing. interesting.

thanks for the song. i remember that song, it was beautiful. now i want to go buy the soundtrack!! :)

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home